HOLIDAY & SEASONAL CRAFTS/05-01
Celebration Seltzer Rockets
• Film canister with snap-on lid
• Toilet paper roll
• Construction paper
• Scotch tape
• Markers, crayons, or paints
• Stickers (optional)
• Alka-Seltzer tablets (generic works)
• Water, in a separate container
• Eye protection
1. Cut straight up the side of the toilet paper roll.
2. Insert the film canister at one end, making sure the end with the lid sticks
out about 1/8".
3. Tape along one edge of the toilet paper roll onto the film canister. Roll the
toilet paper roll around the canister and tape tightly into place.
4. Cut a circle out of construction paper, cutting a pie-shaped wedge out of the
5. Roll the paper into a cone shape and tape it onto the other end of the paper
tube. Experiment with different sizes of circles to see if it makes a
difference in how the rocket reacts upon launch.
6. Decorate your rocket with markers, crayons, paints, or stickers.
7. Cut 4 squares out of construction paper to make fins if you want. Tape on to
lower sides of the rocket.
8. Take outside: the rocket, water, Alka-Seltzer tablets, and eye protection.
9. Put on your eye protection.
10. Turn your rocket upside down, remove the lid from the canister, and fill 1/4
full with water. Drop in tablet and IMMEDIATELY replace the lid and set on
the ground. BACK UP!
Great Salt Lake Council