Theme Crafts 02-09b
The Jacob’s ladder gets its name from a Bible story in which a
man named Jacob had a dream about a ladder stretching from
heaven to earth. The Jacob’s ladder is fun to play with — you
can make it, then watch the blocks tumble over one another or
form them into all sorts of shapes. See if you can make a star, a
house, and a table.
Six squares of plywood 1/4" inch thick and 2 inches square
(adult help cut them. About 10 feet of 1/4-inch wide ribbon
(use 1-2 colors), sandpaper, wood glue, scissors
1. Smooth the wood with sandpaper to avoid splinters.
2. Cut the ribbon into 15 strips that are 5-1/2 inches long.
3. Glue the ribbons to five of the blocks as shown in
picture A. One block should be left plain. Let glue dry.
4. Turn the ribbons underneath and arrange the blocks as
shown in picture B. Turn the last square upside down,
as shown in picture C.
5. Stack a square on top of the upside down square, as
shown in picture D. Trim the ribbon of the bottom
square and glue it to the top square. Let the glue dry.
6. Wrap the ribbon over the top square as shown in
picture E. Place another square on the stack and repeat
step 4. Repeat steps 4 and 5 till all squares have been
attached, as shown in picture F.