In “Cub Scouts Spread the News” we have focused on writing utensils and fun with newspaper.
You will need 4 sheets of newspaper, masking tape, measuring tape, pencil, scissors or blade, a
straight edge, string, and a hole punch.
1. First you take 2 sheets of newspaper and tape the top and bottom together along the entire
edge. Then tape each side together at the middle with 6 inches of tape.
2. Along the top edge measure in 4 inches from each corner and make a mark. Then
measure down four inches from each corner and make a mark. Along the bottom edge
measure in 4 inches from each corner and make a mark. You should now have 6 marks.
3. Draw lines to connect the marks in the upper corners. Next, draw a line from the bottom
edge of the corner to the bottom mark on the same side of the paper.
4. Now you need to cut along the lines that you drew in step 3. Once they are cut you need
to tape all the edges.
5. Take a full sheet of newspaper and fold closed along the center crease. At a top corner
begin rolling the paper to the opposite bottom corner. This will form a tube. Tape the
ends. Do this again with another sheet of paper.
6. Tape rolls down dotted lines as shown in the picture below. Cut off about 1 inch from
the top and bottom of the tube once they are attached to the kite.
7. Your last step before flying is to attach a string. To do that you need to reinforce where the
string will be attached in the corners with tape. Then using a hole punch put a hole as
shown in the picture and then attach 25 inches of string to the top - put a loop in the
middle. Then attach 23 inches to the bottom. The bottom will hold your tail; you can use
anything lightweight as a tail (crêpe paper). Now go have fun.
Great Salt Lake Council