Jennifer Fletcher

Tip #202: Boning Up on BSA Insurance

By: Posted On: 2012-01-04


While activities carried out in accordance with BSA policies are generally quite safe, accidents can occur. That’s why the BSA offers liability coverage to registered volunteers and chartered organizations. That’s also why it requires liability coverage for cars, trucks, and vans used in Scouting activities.

But how much coverage is required for vehicles? And is the BSA’s general liability policy primary or secondary coverage? And how do unauthorized activities affect your coverage? If you’re like most leaders (and like me), you’re probably a little hazy on the details. That’s why the BSA has long published a one-page summary of coverages, the latest version of which you can find at

It’s a useful document to review. Sooner or later, your chartered organization, a potential leader, or a parent driving your troop to camp will want to know some of the information it contains.



"Lucida Grande", Verdana,  Reprinted with permission.  These tips come from a free list service.  For more information please visit 


Materials found on InsaneScouter'.org is © 1998 - 2024, but may be reproduced and used for anything consistent with the Scouting and Guiding programs. Unless otherwise noted on the page. If you believe we are republishing your copyrighted material without permission, please Contact Us including the url to have it removed or your copyright information added. All opinions expressed on these pages are those of the original authors. All holdings are subject to this Disclaimer.

Please be advised that InsaneScouter is NOT affiliated with any Scouting or Guiding Organization including Boy Scouts of America.

Scouting resources for Den Leaders, Cubmasters, Scoutmasters, Girl Guides, Girl Scout, Cub Scout, Venturing, Exploring, Beavers, Joey, Boy Scout Leaders